Step 1: Opening and Introduction to the lesson – Personal Testimonies from last week’s study and Reflection: How did you feel when you were first rejected by a friend or a sweetheart? Were you ever dared by your brothers or sisters to do something dangerous? What happened?
Step 2: Hear – Read: Disciples Desert Jesus. Going to Feast of Tabernacles. John 6:60 – 7:13.
Step 3: Explore – Discover the Passage
- What teaching do Jesus’ followers find so unacceptable (6:54-56)? What is the response to Jesus’ words (v. 63) by many disciples? Why do you think Peter and the others decided to stay? How does this relate to verse 65?
- Why did the religious leaders want to kill Jesus (see 5:18)? Why does the world hate Jesus?
- In urging Jesus to attend this feast, are the brothers being wise or worldly (vv. 2-5; see 6:42,66)? What does Jesus mean by my time and your time (vv. 6-8)?
- What rumors are circulating about Jesus in Jerusalem (vv. 12 – 13)? Hence why do you think he chose to go secretly?
Step 4: Connect – Apply the Passage:
- What words of Jesus are hard for you to accept? Have you known anyone who stopped following Jesus? How did their action affect you?
- How do people today make Jesus into an errand boy for their own personal agendas? How have you been tempted to do so?
- Do you face any family opposition to, or ridicule of your faith? How do you deal with it? How does Jesus’ situation help? Are you loved or hated by the world (v. 7)? Why?
- Are you more likely to be cautious in sharing your faith with your family? Why?
Step 5: Reflect: Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.