Step 1: Opening and Introduction to the lesson – What is your favorite room in the house? Why? Can you remember a time when you got lost? What happened?
Step 2: Hear – Read: Jesus Comforts His Disciples; The Way to the Father: John 14:1-14.
Step 3: Explore – Discover the Passage
- What comfort does Jesus offer his disciples? Look at 13:36, 14:6,8 and verse 22. What problems are the disciples struggling with?
- Put Jesus’ statement in 14:6-7 in your own words. How does 1:18 relate to what Jesus says in 14:9?
- With what tone of voice do you imagine Jesus speaking in verses 9-14? What evidence does Jesus give for his claims? How does he establish his authority? How does he establish his relation to the father?
- Do you think the promises Jesus makes in verses 12-14 are blank check promises about prayer? In verse 12, does he mean the church will do works greater in power? Greater in scope? How could this be?
Step 4: Connect – Apply the Passage:
- If Jesus is the Way, do you feel you are on a bumpy dead-end street, or on a four-lane highway? When was the last time your heart was troubled? Why?
- In light of 14:6, how would you respond to someone who says, “there are many ways to God”?
- What has been revealed to you about the Father recently?
ow can you fulfill this commandment
- What examples have you seen where the pupil becomes greater than the teacher?
Step 5: Reflect: And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.