Step 1: Opening and Introduction to the lesson: Who is the best counselor you ever had? Why was this person so special?
Step 2: Hear – Read: Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit: John 14:15-31.
Step 3: Explore – Discover the Passage
- How are the disciples to show love to each other (13:34)? To Jesus (14:15)? Why is this idea repeated four times (vv. 15, 21, 23, 24)?
- What do you learn about the Holy Spirit in verses 16-17 and 25-27? What is the relationship of the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit to the believer? To each other?
- How does Jesus answer Judas’ question (v. 22)? Contrast one who loves Jesus with one who does not? What is the difference between how Jesus gives peace and how the world does?
- How will the Disciples remember Jesus’ words after he has gone? What do verses 28-31 reveal about the Father, Jesus, the ruler of this world (12:31), and the world?
Step 4: Connect – Apply the Passage:
- How at home are the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in your life? Are they more like owners, or temporary guests?
- How does Jesus leave Peace? On a scale of 1 (smooth sailing) to 10 (furious storm), what is your peace quotient? Why? Where do you need Jesus’ peace? Where can you find hope in this passage?
- How has the Holy Spirit revealed Jesus in your life? How can you experience this peace in your daily living?
ow can you fulfill this commandment
- Of all the promises made here (vv. 16-18, 21, 23, 26, 27), which one means the most to you? Why?
Step 5: Reflect: Peace I leave you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearths be troubled and do not be afraid.