Step 1: Opening and Introduction to the lesson – Personal Testimonies from last week’s study and Reflection: What type of bread are you: All natural? Rye? Moldy? Crusty? Fresh? Easy to butter up?
Step 2: Hear – Read: Jesus the Bread of Life. John 6:25-59.
Step 3: Explore – Discover the Passage
- Why are the crowds still searching for Jesus (vv. 24-26)? How does Jesus’ response to their question show the difference between his intreats and theirs? How are they to work for the food that leads to eternal life (v. 29)?
- What does the crowd ask Jesus to do in order that they can believe him? What is their real interest? How does Jesus use their interest in food to illustrate what he wants them to understand? What are the similarities and differences between manna (Ex. 16) and the, “Bread of Life (v. 35)?
- What claims does Jesus make in verses 35-40? What do these claims emphasize about his being the bread of life? About the will of the Father? In verses 41-42, how do the crowds respond to his claims? How is the principle of the hometown prophet (see 4:44) played out here? What part is played by God and by the people in the process of coming to know Jesus (vv.44-45). What promise is repeated three times for those who do come to him? Why the emphasis on this?
- How is the bread he gives greater than that of Moses (vv. 32, 49)? Why does Jesus develop the food analogy even more graphically (vv. 53-58)? What does Jesus mean by eating his flesh and drinking his blood (vv. 51-58)?
Step 4: Connect – Apply the Passage:
- What is the main reason you follow Jesus? How would you describe you daily spiritual diet: Junk food? Frozen food? Baby food? TV microwave food? Leftovers? Meat and potatoes? Pure bread and wine?
- Has your familiarity with Jesus (from Sunday School stories, parochial school, etc.) ever kept you from seeing who he really is? What can remove the blinders?
- If someone asked, “How do you hunger and thirst after God,” what counsel could you offer?
Step 5: Reflect: Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.