Step 1: Opening and Introduction to the lesson – Personal Testimonies from last week’s study and Reflection: As you get older, do you find yourself becoming more, or less, like your parents? Why?
Step 2: Hear – Read: Life through the Son. John 5:16-30.
Step 3: Explore – Discover the Passage
- What was the result for Jesus of healing the invalid (vv. 1-15)? How did his response to the Jewish leaders only heighten their opposition? Why would Jesus do this?
- What can the Son do? List two things he does (vv. 21-22)? In what ways is Jesus equal with the Father (vv. 26-27)? What terms are used to show the kind of relationship between the two?
- What claims does Jesus make about himself in verse 24? What is the promise? What happens to those who hear and believe (vv.24-30)? What happens to those who do not believe? Distinguish how time is used in verses 25 and 28?
- How would you describe the business that God the Father and God the Son are in? What are the two prerequisites in obtaining eternal life? What are the two results possible?
Step 4: Connect – Apply the Passage:
- If you had to explain to someone what verse 24 means in your own words, how would you put it?
- In your own spiritual journey, when did you come to understand this truth? How did it affect your self-image? Your lifestyle? Your life goals? Why?
- As always in scripture, judgement is on the basis of works, though salvation, of course, is a gift from God in response to faith. How can you, and or this group strengthen your faith?
Step 5: Reflect: My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.