Step 1: Opening and Introduction to the lesson – Personal Testimonies from last week’s study and Reflection: Whom do you still admire today who was a hero to you as a child? Who was a hero who turned out to be a disappointment? Why?
Step 2: Hear – Read: Testimonies About Jesus. John 5:31-47.
Step 3: Explore – Discover the Passage
- To what five witnesses does Jesus refer? Which are valid? Which do the Jews accept? Do the scriptures give life? To whom is life related?
- Who or what testifies in favor of Jesus (v. 33)? How do you think the religious leaders felt when Jesus referred to these witnesses (already discounted by the authorities)?
- How does Jesus refute the religious leaders with their own scripture? List at least five accusations Jesus makes against the Jews?
- What is ironical about the source of accusation against the Jews? From whom do the Jews receive glory? From whom does Jesus?
Step 4: Connect – Apply the Passage:
- What witnesses have convinced you that Jesus is indeed the one who gives life?
- Have you ever seen anyone put the study of the Scriptures before their love for Christ? Have you ever done this? Why?
- Do any of the accusations characterize you? From whom do you receive glory?
- Is the love of God in your heart? How can you use Scripture to cultivate the love of God in you?
Step 5: Reflect: These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.