Step 1: Opening and Introduction to the lesson – Personal Testimonies from last week’s study and Reflection: Name one of the best books you ever read. Why did you enjoy it? What was one of the worst? Why?
Step 2: Hear – Read: The Conclusion of the Matter 12:09 –12:14.
Step 3: Explore – Discover the Passage
- Since we are created in the image of God, what is our true element? As your creator, what rights does God have in your life? As a created being, do you have any rights purely your own?
- Who is speaking in 12:9-14? How is the Teacher described (vv. 9-10)? What work has he done?
- What do verses 11-12 warn against? Who is the Shepherd in verse 11? How does the speaker summarize his interpretation of the book (vv. 13-14)? How does this compare to the teachings in the rest of the book?
- “Every deed into judgement.” See Mt 12:36; 1 Co 3:12-15; 2 Co 5:9-10; Heb 4:12-13; “Every hidden thing.” See Ro 2:16.
Step 4: Connect – Apply the Passage:
- In retrospect, how do you respond to the reflections in this book? What do you feel about its author?
- Which discussion had the most impact on your thinking? How do you think its author would want you to apply his work to your life? How do you think God would want you to apply this?
- List your own and the author’s conclusions about wisdom. Summarize in your own words, the end of the matter.
Step 5: Reflect: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.