Step 1: Opening and Introduction to the lesson – Personal Testimonies from last week’s study and Reflection: What causes you to skip a meal? To eat too much unintentionally?
Step 2: Hear – Read: The disciples rejoin Jesus. John 4:27-42.
Step 3: Explore – Discover the Passage
- Why were the disciples surprised to find Jesus with this woman? What does the woman consider the most important part of her conversation with Jesus?
- What does leaving her water jar reveal about Jesus’ impact on the woman? How did she affect others? What does Jesus say about food? Can Jesus live without this food? How is Jesus’ figurative speech once again misunderstood (see 2:19; 3:3; 4:10)? Why does he continue to speak like this? In what ways is God’s will like food for him?
- How does the parable of harvesting apply to the disciples? How can the sower and reaper rejoice together in the harvest?
- In what is the Samaritan’s belief initially based? What reason do they give for their belief after Jesus has stayed with them? Given the social barriers between Jews and Samaritans, what do verses 40-42 teach you about Jesus?
Step 4: Connect – Apply the Passage:
- Considering your interest in spiritual things, are you more like the disciples or the woman? Why?
- Is doing God’s will as essential to you as eating food? Why?
- What do you learn from the woman about telling others about Jesus? What do you learn from the parable (vv. 35-38)?
Step 5: Reflect: I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for the harvest.