On a cold, wintry afternoon in February 1956, the Rochester Pastoral Conference conducted a spot canvas of Suburban Heights and following the survey recommended to the Mission Board of the Eastern District, Lutheran Church — Missouri Synod, that they call a full time Pastor for a new Lutheran Church in the area.
The Call was extended by the Mission Board for a Candidate from one of our Church’s Seminaries. The Rev. Delbert C. Tiemann, of Concordia Theological Seminary, Springfield, Illinois, received the call and accepted upon graduation in June, 1956. He was ordained on July 8, 1956, at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church at Chapin, Illinois and was installed as the Pastor of Pinnacle Lutheran Church on October 28, 1956, at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Benton at South Goodman.
Before Pastor Tiemann arrived, Mr. Harry Kuhlow, a lay missionary for the Eastern District, canvassed the entire Henrietta development. This canvass was completed about August 15, 1956. On August 4, 1956, Rev. Tiemann arrived and began work with a series of follow-up calls, announcing the first Church Service to be held on September 9, 1956 at the Barn on East Henrietta Road.
The first Sunday School was conducted at 9:30 with 14 children present. The Church Service was attended by 67 since many interested visitors were present and Robert A. Youngman was baptized.
The first meeting of the men from the group was held on September 23rd at the Civic Center. Officers temporarily chosen were as follows: Mr.. Wilbur Flemming, Chairman; Mr. Fred Phillips, Secretary; Mr. Robert Youngman, Treasurer; and Mr. Albert Deeley, Building Chairman.
In the following meetings, various plans including a Church building were discussed. Mr. Herbert C. Graef drew plans in accordance with the congregation’s desires. Much credit and thanks was due Mr. Graef for his time and ideas for our new congregation.
The first few months saw the average Church attendance around 35 with the Sunday School gradually increasing. On December 23rd a children’s Christmas program was presented by the Sunday School pupils with all but two enrolled children participating.
In January, the women met at 146 Eastland Avenue for an evening of social and spiritual enjoyment. Officers chosen were: Mrs. Nan Ervay, President; Mrs. Doris Ryskowski, Vice-President; Mrs. Betty Jane Deeley, Secretary; and Mrs. Jeanette Leslie, Treasurer. In April, Mrs. Ervay moved to Binghamton, New York and Mrs. Gloria Hawkes was chosen as the new President.
On February 24th, the men of the congregation met for a special meeting to elect officers for the year and to discuss the possibilities of purchasing a parsonage in the area. The home chosen was at 1054 Calkins Road with the approval of the Mission Board. The parsonage has since been sold when Pastor Tiemann purchased his Pittsford home.
In May of 1957, Mr. John Briggs was chosen as the architect for our site located at 275 Pinnacle Road. In July the Meagher Construction Company was noted to be the low bidder. In August, arrangements were made for the project to be built by the Meager Construction Company.
On Pentecost Sunday, June 9, 1957, our Pinnacle Lutheran Congregation was officially organized with 43 communicant members. The Rev. William A. Drews, Executive Secretary of the Eastern District was the guest speaker.
On Sunday, August 11, 1957, the congregation had the privilege of breaking ground for its new edifice, which now stands as the Norman Howard School.
Our present church home is located at 250 Pinnacle Road. Below are some images of our new home’s construction.
Model of the Church before construction
The frame going up
The finishing touches